Did you know that by 2050 our global need for water will double? In the US alone, the average American pours, flushes, and sprinkles 40 to 130 gallons of water at home a day.
By taking simple steps every one of us could reduce our water consumption by 30 percent? For United Water’s 5.7 million customers, that’s an average savings of 185 million gallons. Every day!
That challenge and the simple ways we could address it, is why we encourage our customers, partners, vendors, suppliers and employees to conserve water and use it wisely every day. We have partnered with leading water conservation agencies including the EPA to promote responsible water usage as a part of its WaterSense program. Check out the website. It has a ton of great resources – a quiz to test your WaterSense, water savings calculator, local rebates etc.
Meanwhile, here are a few things you can do daily to save water:
- Do not let the water run while shaving or brushing teeth.
- Take short showers instead of tub baths. Turn off the water while soaping or shampooing.
- If you must use a tub, close the drain before turning on the water and fill the tub only half full. Bathe small children together.
- Never use your toilet as a wastebasket.
- Keep drinking water in the refrigerator instead of letting the faucet run until the water is cool.
- Wash fruits and vegetables in a basin. Use a vegetable brush.
- Do not use water to defrost frozen foods; thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Scrape, rather than rinse, dishes before loading into the dishwasher; wash only full loads.
- Add food wastes to your compost pile instead of using the garbage disposal.
- Wash only full loads of laundry or use the appropriate water level or load size selection on the washing machine.
We’d love to learn about steps you are taking to reduce water consumption. Let’s conserve water together – one step at a time.
You can also find more information on how to conserve water on United Water website by clicking here.